We know having the perfect hormonal balance for clear skin can be tough, so we reached out to Melissa Palmer of OSEA Malibu for her expert tips and advice.
As a teenager, I was lucky to have clear, radiant skin. I thought I had escaped blemishes forever – that is until I reached the tender age of 27 and overnight developed hormonal acne. As CEO of the all-natural, plant-based vegan skincare line, OSEA Malibu and a daughter of a line of holistic healers, I knew better than to turn to harsh synthetic chemicals such as Benzoyl Peroxide and Retinoids.
My mother, Jenefer Palmer, founder of OSEA created our product line using USDA organic seaweed combined with pure steam-distilled and cold pressed essential oils– a synergy which creates powerful acne and anti-aging solutions for the skin. Growing up, I watched her formulate products in our kitchen sink and in my 20’s experienced firsthand the healing properties of these super potent natural ingredients.
Here’s everything you need to naturally treat hormonal acne:
- Seaweed: One of the most nutrient-rich sources of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. When applied topically, organic Undaria and Macrocystis algae heal acne and sebaceous cysts and improve the texture of the skin. Organic Gigartina algae stimulates collagen to hydrate and repair cellular damage. Add some seaweed to your diet too! Spirulina and Wakame are super nutritious and help clear hormonal acne.
- Essential Oils: Using oils on oily skin may seem contrary but it’s actually proven to reduce sebum and restore pH balance to acne-prone skin. Tea Tree, Cypress, Juniper, Thyme and Lavender Oils, are natural antiseptics with antibacterial properties. Lavender also reduces stress which is a huge contributor to hormonal acne. Essential oils always need to be diluted before application!
- Ditch Sugar: Reduce your sugar intake and dump processed foods! Excess sugar causes inflammation in the body which leads to acne and aging skin.
- Drink your Celery: Drink 16 ounces of fresh celery juice a day (an entire bunch)! Celery improves liver health, which helps your body and skin detox, clearing and preventing acne. I can’t start my day without it!
- Up your Essential Fatty Acids: Essential fatty acids have an amazing anti-inflammatory effect on the body, reducing breakouts and promoting healthy skin. My favorite vegan sources of well-balanced EFA’s are flax, chia and hemp seeds, and acorn and butternut squash.
My hormonal acne cleared within a matter of months thanks to diet and my mother’s incredibly healing formulations. Since then, I’ve committed to a daily regimen of celery juice and OSEA’s Ocean Cleansing Mudd, followed by a spot treatment of Essential Correcting Complex. I finish my routine with Blemish Balm, a lightweight yet hydrating moisturizer that heals blemishes and reduces oily shine, and is also amazing for anti-aging! Since stress plays such a huge role in hormonal acne, find an activity that helps you de-stress! My daily meditation practice is my favorite way to unwind. I also continue to find it so helpful to set healing intentions for your skin (and yourself!) such as, “I intend to open my heart to clear, radiant, healthy skin!”
Melissa Palmer, CEO of OSEA Malibu lives in Venice where she enjoys meditation, urban gardening, wildcrafting herbs in the Malibu hills behind her parents’ home, walking her dog Joey, and making frozen banana cacao smoothies in her vitamix.